BRIAN E. Bates
For over 30 years, I have pursued the best outcomes for my clients in their ligation and dispute resolution needs and business transactions. I endeavor to see the world through the eyes of my clients and, from that perspective, pursue and implement the most efficient and viable legal solutions available so that my clients can focus on the on-going growth and development of their business ventures.
I am an accomplished litigator in complex commercial cases involving covenants not to compete, intellectual property, secured/unsecured lender claims, partnership and shareholder disputes, contract claims, business torts, employment disputes, fraud claims, and sales and use tax assessment appeals. I am also fully versed in alternative methods of dispute resolution, including arbitration and mediation. I am a Colorado SuperLawyer® for business litigation.
For my business clients, I emphasize providing outside general counsel services to companies who do not have their own in-house counsel. I have experience in representing owners involved in a broad array of businesses, including commercial fire and security alarm design and installation, interior design services, retailers, restaurants, telecommunications, commercial landscape services, physical therapy practices, auto service entities, software development, and environmental mitigation. A particular area of emphasis in my practice is the representation of physicians and physician groups with their various business matters, including employment and contract issues, non-competes, strategic partnerships, practice mergers, medical equipment financing agreements, lease negotiations, intellectual property protection, general business operations, and corporate governance issues.
- Business Planning
- Commercial Litigation / Dispute Resolution
- Employment Agreements / Non Competes
- Intellectual Property
- J.D., Notre Dame Law School, 1986
- M.A. University of Toledo, 1981
- B.A., University of Notre Dame, 1979
- Admitted to practice in all Colorado courts
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Aspen Ortho. & Sports Med., LLC, et al. v. Aspen Valley Hospital, et al., 353 F.2d 832 (10th Cir. 2003);
- Service Merchandise, Co., v. Schwartzberg, 971 P.2d 654 (Colo. App. 1997);
- Wojtowicz v. Greeley Anesthesia Svcs., P.C., 961 P.2d 520 (Colo. App. 1997);
- Conway v. United States, 95-2 USTC Sec. 50,505 (D. Colo. 1995);
- Berry v. Stevinson, 74 F.3d 980 (10th Cir. 1996) (amicus);
- Johnson v. U.S. Postal Service, 861 F.2d 1475 (10th Cir. 1988).