Howard M. Haenel
Howard Haenel’s philosophy: Learn from the past and look to the future. For more than 27 years, Howard has represented entrepreneurs and emerging and established businesses in the Rocky Mountain region. He particularly appreciates the excitement and legal and business challenges of representing high tech start-ups.
Howard has served as legal and general counsel for business, professional and non-profit enterprises engaged in biotechnology, charitable organizations (art, education and human services), financing, health care, real estate, software and other industries, services and technologies.
As legal and general counsel to closely and more widely held businesses and professional practices, he advises his clients in the areas of corporate governance, entity formation, employment matters, financing, IP licensing, marketing/distribution, mergers and acquisitions, protection of trade secrets and intellectual property, purchase and acquisition matters, real estate transactions, risk management, shareholder/ownership disputes, and the myriad legal issues and challenges that business enterprises face on a daily basis.
Howard assists clients in resolving commercial, organizational and personal disputes through negotiation, mediation and, when necessary, litigation. He is a trained, neutral mediator and as both an advocate and mediator has successfully resolved many complex disputes without litigation.
Howard approaches his clients first as a business or businessperson with many interests and concerns apart from the legal issues on which his counsel and advice are sought. He develops an understanding and appreciation of his client’s broader business concerns and interests so that his legal counsel and services make business sense and fit his client’s overall business positioning and strategy. Howard is viewed by his clients as a valued advisor to their ongoing business interests and concerns.
- J.D., University of Denver College of Law, 1981
- B.A., University of Colorado at Boulder,1977
- Mediation Process Training, CDR Associates, Boulder, Colorado, 1991
- Iliff School of Theology, Denver, CO, 1996-97 (1 year toward M.A. degree)
- Admitted to practice in all Colorado courts
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth and Tenth Circuits
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Member, American (Business Section), Colorado (Business, Intellectual Property and Real Estate Sections) and Denver Bar Associations
- Member, Legal Fee Arbitration Committee of the Colorado Bar Association
- Extensive board service and pro bono legal representation since 1990 for non-profit organizations serving Colorado homeless
- Past Member, Ethics Committee, Spectrum Medical Center, Denver, Colorado (an acute care hospital for patients with life threatening conditions)
- Outstanding Volunteer Award, Colorado Coalition for the Homeless