Brian E. Bates
For more than 20 years, Brian Bates has pursued the best outcomes for his clients, in both their business transactions and their litigation matters.
As an accomplished litigator, Brian has focused on complex commercial cases involving covenants not to compete, intellectual property, secured/ unsecured lender claims, partnership and shareholder disputes, contract claims, business torts, employment disputes, fraud claims and sales and use tax assessment appeals. In addition to court proceedings, Brian is fully versed in alternative methods of dispute resolution, including arbitration, mediation, and administrative proceedings.
An experienced business attorney, Brian has represented all manner of companies engaged in wide variety of business pursuits, including: commercial fire and security alarm design and installation, interior design services, retail and restaurants, telecommunications, commercial landscape services, software development, and environmental mitigation. In representing such a wide array of businesses, Brian’s emphasis is in providing outside general counsel services to companies who do not have their own in-house counsel. A particular area of emphasis in Brian’s practice is in the representation of physicians and physician group practices in their non-professional defense legal matters, including employment and contract issues, strategic partnerships, practice mergers, medical equipment financing agreements, lease negotiations, IP protection, and general business operations and corporate governance issues.
Brian tries to see the world through the eyes of his clients and, with that focus in place, pursue and implement the most efficient solutions available. In doing so, it is his hope that his clients can quickly return to focus on the on-going growth and development of their respective businesses.
- J.D., Notre Dame Law School, 1986
- M.A. University of Toledo, 1981
- B.A., University of Notre Dame, 1979
- Admitted to practice in all Colorado courts
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Member, American, Colorado and Denver Bar Associations
- Member, William Doyle Inn of Court
- Notre Dame Law Association (Executive Advisory Council)
- Board of Directors, Lupus Foundation of Colorado
- Board of Directors, Notre Dame Alumni Association
- Colorado Lawyers for the Arts (volunteer attorney)
- Law Line 9
- Aspen Ortho. & Sports Med., LLC, et al. v. Aspen Valley Hospital, et al., 353 F.2d 832 (10th Cir. 2003)
- Service Merchandise, Co., v. Schwartzberg, 971 P.2d 654 (Colo. App. 1997)
- Wojtowicz v. Greeley Anesth.Svcs., P.C., 961 P.2d 520 (Colo. App. 1997)
- Conway v. United States, 95-2 USTC Sec. 50,505 (D. Colo. 1995)
- Berry v. Stevinson, 74 F.3d 980 (!0th Cir. 1996) (amicus);
- Johnson v. U.S. Postal Service, 861 F.2d 1475 (10th Cir. 1988)